At your next summer bbq switch out the heavy side dishes for this flavorful and fruity Bacon, Strawberry and Farro Salad.
Now that it’s mid-June, it’s time to officially kick the backyard bbqs into high gear. I’ve been talking about my lust for throwing those parties and casual dinners of my youth the last few weeks and while I thought the feel has passed, it’s still holding on tight. There’s something comforting about the smell of food grilling, friends gathering with their favorite potluck dishes and dining al fresco.
The best part about throwing a bbq is it’s casual, you don’t really need a reason to hold one. As long as the weather is nice and you have friends and family around, there’s a reason to be together.
My search will continue this summer to find a place to throw this “backyard” party but in time being I will keep myself prepared. The first step is to have a go-to dish that’s easy to prepare and is delicious at room temperature. The second step is to have a great tasting wine to share with friends and family, for me it’s Gallo Family Vineyards. Wine doesn’t have to be a special occasion beverage, enjoy a glass in a relaxing atmosphere with your friends and family. What’s better than hanging out in the backyard with your friends on a gorgeous day sharing a glass and discussing your favorite varietal? It’s a good thing Gallo Family has so many to choose from, it’s perfect for any day, any mood, and it’s the key to a successful party!
Of course with the wine we need great food! Grain salads are perfect for this task, hearty and filling on it’s own, ancient grains are a blank canvas to any number of your favorite seasonal ingredients. Tossed with a vinaigrette also means you don’t have to worry about it spoiling if it sits too long in the sun. I’m personally a big fan of farro, I love the chewy texture and nutty flavor. It lends itself to an array of different preparations but tossed with sweet strawberries, salty bacon, bitter arugula and almonds for crunch gives you a flavorful, unique salad.
Plus it’s one that can easily be prepared ahead of time and taken on the go! Cook your farro a day or two before your bbq and then toss everything together before you serve. Not to mention, who doesn’t love a salad with bacon? It’ll be the hit of the party – just make sure you don’t spot your guests trying to pick it out!
Of course all gatherings needs beverages and this salad pairs perfectly with Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio. The crisp, clean taste of the wine pairs beautifully with this salad. The citrus notes in the wine brings out the hint of lemon in the vinaigrette and it’s cooling to sip on in the middle of a hot afternoon. Of course I like to switch to red in the evenings when it cools down, which is why I love the Pinot Noir and it’s medium bodied berry aroma.
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 1 heaping cup sliced strawberries
- 1 large bunch (about ¾ cup) baby arugula
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cooked – bacon grease reserved
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- reserved bacon grease – should amount to about ¼ cup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the farro according to your packages directions. If you purchased semi-pearled farro, it will cook faster than other varieties. If there is any liquid left in the pot after cooking, drain. Let the farro cool to room temperature and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the sliced strawberries, arugula and crumble the bacon in the bowl with the farro. Toss to the combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice and vinegar. While whisking pour in the warm reserved bacon grease and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. If the vinaigrette starts to seize up just pop it into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm the bacon grease again. Taste and adjust seasoning. If you feel like the vinaigrette tastes too vinegary or too oily adjust proportions as necessary.
- Pour about half the vinaigrette over the salad, reserving the remainder or another use or to serve alongside if guests would like to add more.
- Toss the salad and top with the sliced almonds.
- Serve salad at room temperature.
For more great ideas and recipes for Backyard BBQs and Potlucks make sure to check out Gallo’s blog!
- Buffalo Bread by Feed Me, Seymour
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Creamy Asparagus Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Bibimbap Bar by kimchi MOM
- Chicken Satay by Curious Cuisiniere
- Citrus Grilled Chicken under a Brick by Nosh My Way
- Garlicky Sirloin Steak For A Crowd by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Grilled Mediterranean Salmon Burgers with Tzatziki by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Sides and Salads:
- Bacon, Strawberry and Farro Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Balsamic Blueberry Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta Salad by One Sweet Mess
- Grilled Rainbow Potato Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Spicy Watermelon Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Tortellini Salad by Magnolia Days
- Coconut Shortcakes with Grilled Pineapple by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Frozen Root Beer Float Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Peaches with Brioche by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- S’more Cookie Cups by Desserts Required
BBQ Helpful Info:
- 5 Tips for Using BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement
Needs more tips on backyard BBQs and potlucks? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Original article: Bacon Strawberry and Farro Salad #SundaySupper
©2015 The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. All Rights Reserved.