Sit back and relax with a group of friends over the weekend and a pitcher of Blueberry Mint Sangria. It tastes like combination blueberries mojitos and white wine spritzers.
Can someone please explain to me how this weekend is Memorial Day? Seriously, how did we get here so quickly? Is May really almost over, I mean other than a few warm days, it’s still chilly other there. It does not feel like the unofficial kick off to summer.
I’m not ready, the year is just plowing on through. Plus I don’t have plans for the weekend! No barbecues, no parties, no beach going. Zilch!
Well that’s not completely true, I’m going out tonight to see Braden’s swing band, Double Down at one of my favorite Brooklyn bars the Way Station but that’s a normal Friday night activity. A combination of a night of Double Down and the Way Station is always fun though, I mean the bathroom is a TARDIS there and yes, it is bigger on the inside.
If you’re local you should come out tonight. I promise, you will hear the best versions of modern pop songs ever. Seriously. And I’m not just saying that because I’m married to the guitar player. . .
Maybe I haven’t made plans for the weekend yet because I’ve spent the last two nights watching all 6 episodes of The Jinx on HBO.
Have you seen it yet? This documentary is fascinating. I’m not going to give away the ending if you haven’t but I predicted it the entire time. You can tell from the beginning that Robert Durst, the focus of the show is a sociopath. At least I could, wait does that say something about me?
I’m curious if a sequel will be made, apparently the producers spent 10 years researching for the show. I’m just shocked as lifetime New Yorker I wasn’t familiar with him or the family name. To make a long story short the Durst family are commercial real estate tycoons in the city. I’m sure I’ve been in at least one of their office buildings in Midtown, yet the name didn’t spark one memory. . .
No matter your weekend plans just make sure a glass of this sangria is in hand. I figured a big batch cocktail was need for Friday Happy Hour this weekend.
Imagine a blueberry mojito and a white wine spritzer met and joined forces to make this drink. It’s slightly sweet, fruity and you have drunk blueberries at the end. This is perfect for relaxing with friends and family, in a hopefully warmer location that I’m at right now!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 750ml bottle dry white wine
- ¼ cup white rum
- 2 limes -1 juiced, 1 sliced
- 10-12 mint leaves (from about 3 sprigs)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the blueberries, mint, water and sugar to boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the blueberries until they soften and breakdown about 5 minutes.
- Strain the blueberries simple syrup through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids. Let cool.
- Pour the cooled simple syrup into a large pitcher, add the wine, rum, lime juice, lime slices, mint leaves and blueberries. Stir to combine.
- If serving right away fill the pitcher up with ice, if making ahead of time chill in the refrigerator and then fill with ice before serving.
Tools you may need for this cocktail:
Original article: Blueberry Mint Sangria
©2015 The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. All Rights Reserved.