Start your day with a power packed breakfast of Avocado, Egg and Cucumber Hummus Toast.
This may come as a huge shock to you but at one point in my life I did not like hummus.
I know but hear my reasonings out. Hummus = chickpeas = beans = gross, I won’t touch that in my mind. See, it’s a totally legitimate reason for not eating it. Little did I know that chickpeas when ground up with garlic, lemon juice and tahini becomes something magical.
Luckily Braden showed me the error of my ways. When we first started dating he couldn’t believe that I wouldn’t eat hummus. It was a staple in his bachelor eating habits, if you opened his fridge you were guaranteed to find a tub of Sabra roasted pine nut hummus in there. After much prodding and teasing from him, I finally gave in.
The rest as they say is history.
I look back now and I think how silly I was on my no hummus stance, after all it’s a good for you dip! It’s full of fiber and protein – the perfect way to get you moving in the morning or an afternoon pick me up.
Hummus a staple now in my diet, usually with lunch or a snack but I love finding other uses for it besides a vehicle for pitas and vegetables.
Since the weather is warmer, what I really needed was a breakfast to take the place of my morning oatmeal. I’m all about hot food in cold temperatures but when it’s humid and muggy outside, I prefer a different option to start off the day.
What better way than to kick avocado toast up one giant notch? I love Sabra’s Olive Tapenade Hummus and used it as inspiration for a mediterranean inspired toast. My normal whole grain bread was swapped out for a big piece of toasted naan and I added some hard boiled eggs and cucumber for crunch, plus an extra protein kick.
Breakfast, lunch or snack time this avocado hummus toast is the way to go.
- 1 piece naan bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Sabra Olive Tapenade Hummus, plus extra tapenade topping
- ½ ripe Hass avocado
- ¼ of an English Cucumber, sliced (about 8 slices)
- 1 large egg, hard boiled and sliced
- kosher salt and za’atar for seasoning
- Evenly spread the hummus on a piece of toasted naan and then top it with slices of ripe avocado. With a fork, gently mash the avocado down and season with kosher salt.
- Top the hummus toast with extra tapenade topping from the hummus container, sliced cucumbers and sliced hard boiled eggs on top of the cucumber.
- Finish with a sprinkling of za’atar seasoning.
- Cut the naan into 3-4 pieces before serving.
- Serves 1 for breakfast or lunch or 2 for a light snack.
This post is sponsored on behalf of Sabra. As always all opinions are my own and thank for supporting brands that I work with.
Original article: Avocado, Egg and Cucumber Hummus Toast
©2015 The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. All Rights Reserved.